Sertraline (Zoloft®) Interactions
Can you take Sertraline and Adderall®?
There are no reported drug interactions between sertraline and amphetamines, the active ingredients of Adderall®1.
Can you take Sertraline and Phentermine?
Concomitant use of sertraline and phentermine is acceptable. There are no major drug interactions between these medications1.
Can you take Sertraline and Alprazolam (Xanax®)?
Generally, concomitant use of sertraline and alprazolam is safe. Sertraline does not affect the pharmacokinetics of alprazolam and does not potentiate the psychomotor side effects of alprazolam2, 3.
Can you take Sertraline and Lorazepam (Ativan®)?
There are no reported drug interaction between sertraline and lorazepam1.
Can you take Sertraline and Diazepam (Valium®)?
Sertraline has minimal effect on the pharmacokinetic of diazepam4. Generally, concurrent use is safe.
Can you take Sertraline and Zolpidem (Ambien®)?
No major drug interaction between sertraline and zolpidem1. However, sertraline may slightly shorten onset of action and increase effect of zolpidem11.
Can you take Sertraline and Melatonin?
Sertraline label does not provide any warnings/precautions regarding concurrent use of sertraline with melatonin1. One case report describes toxic optic neuropathy after concomitant use of melatonin, sertraline, and a high-protein diet6.
Can you take Sertraline and Amitriptyline?
Both the sertraline and amitriptyline affect serotonin transmission, and concomitant use may result in increased serotonin levels and serotonin syndrome1. Caution is required when sertraline is taken with amitriptyline.
Can you take Sertraline and Trazodone?
Sertraline label does not warn about concomitant use with trazodone1. Low-dose trazodone is used for insomnia caused by SSRI antidepressants7.
Can you take Sertraline and Quetiapine (Seroquel®)?
Concurrent use is sertraline and quetiapine safe1. Quetiapine is often added to antidepressant therapy to help manage depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and other disorders5.
Can you take Sertraline and Tramadol?
Both sertraline and tramadol are serotonergic agents and when used together may contribute to serotonin syndrome 1, 8. Taking sertraline and trazodone at the same time is possible but caution should be undertaken.
Can you take Sertraline with Oxycodone, Codeine, or Methadone?
Risk of serotonin syndrome 1, 9. Sertraline may increase blood levels of methadone 10.
Concomitant use of sertraline with opioid analgesics (e.g. oxycodone, codeine, methadone, hydrocodone) is possible under the supervision of a doctor.
Can you take Sertraline and Ibuprofen (Advil®)?
In most cases taking sertraline and ibuprofen at the same time would not cause problems. Theoretically combination of an SSRI antidepressant with NSAID may potentiate the risk of gastrointestinal or other bleeding1.
- 1. U.S. FDA Sertraline Prescribing Information
- 2. Hassan PC, Sproule BA, Naranjo CA, Herrmann N. Dose-response evaluation of the interaction between sertraline and alprazolam in vivo. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2000 Apr;20(2):150-8. PubMed
- 3. Preskorn SH, Greenblatt DJ, Harvey AT. Lack of effect of sertraline on the pharmacokinetics of alprazolam. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2000 Oct;20(5):585-6.
- 4. Gardner MJ, Baris BA, Wilner KD, Preskorn SH. Effect of sertraline on the pharmacokinetics and protein binding of diazepam in healthy volunteers. Clin Pharmacokinet. 1997;32 Suppl 1:43-9. PubMed
- 5. Choi YJ. Efficacy of treatments for patients with obsessive-compulsive disorder: a systematic review. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2009 Apr;21(4):207-13. PubMed
- 6. Lehman NL, Johnson LN. Toxic optic neuropathy after concomitant use of melatonin, zoloft, and a high-protein diet. J Neuroophthalmol. 1999 Dec;19(4):232-4. PubMed
- 7. Dording CM1, Mischoulon D, Petersen TJ, Kornbluh R, Gordon J, Nierenberg AA, Rosenbaum JE, Fava M. The pharmacologic management of SSRI-induced side effects: a survey of psychiatrists. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2002 Sep;14(3):143-7. PubMed
- 8. Mason BJ, Blackburn KH. Possible serotonin syndrome associated with tramadol and sertraline coadministration. Ann Pharmacother. 1997 Feb;31(2):175-7. PubMed
- 9. Martinez TT, Martinez DN. A case of serotonin syndrome associated with methadone overdose. Proc West Pharmacol Soc. 2008;51:42-4. PubMed
- 10. Hamilton SP, Nunes EV, Janal M, Weber L. The effect of sertraline on methadone plasma levels in methadone-maintenance patients. Am J Addict. 2000 Winter;9(1):63-9. PubMed
- 11. Allard S, Sainati SM, Roth-Schechter BF. Coadministration of short-term zolpidem with sertraline in healthy women. J Clin Pharmacol. 1999 Feb;39(2):184-91. PubMed