Escitalopram Oxalate (Lexapro®) Interactions
Taking Escitalopram with:
Escitalopram Drug Interactions:
Escitalopram can interact with:
- Serotonergic agents, triptans, St. John's wort, sibutramine: concurrent use may cause serotonin syndrome.
- MAOIs: concomitant use contraindicated. Allow at least 2 weeks to elapse between discontinuance of an MAO inhibitor and
initiation of escitalopram, or vice versa.
- Pimozide: concurrent use is contraindicated.
Can you take Escitalopram and Eszopiclone (Lunesta®)?
Coadministration of escitalopram and eszopiclone is safe and well tolerated2.
Can you take Escitalopram and Quetiapine (Seroquel®)?
No adverse drug interactions expected. Serum concentrations of quetiapine may be increased4. Escitalopram plus quetiapine is a suitable treatment for improving symptoms of depression and quality of sleep3.
Can you take Escitalopram and Aripiprazole (Abilify®)?
No adverse drug interactions expected. Escitalopram may safely be used in combination with aripiprazole5.
Can you take Escitalopram with benzodiazepines?
Taking escitalopram along with benzodiazepines (e.g. alprazolam (Xanax), lorazepam (Ativan), diazepam (Valium)) is acceptable and generally safe1, 6. Benzodiazepines are used frequently as the co-prescription with antidepressant.
Can you take Escitalopram and Llisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse®)?
Concomitant use is not contraindicated1.
When you should NOT take Escitalopram?
- Concurrent use of MAOIs or within 14 days of discontinuing MAO inhibitor.
- Coadministration of pimozide
- Hypersensitivity to escitalopram or citalopram
Escitalopram during Pregnancy and Lactation:
Pregnancy Risk Factor C.
There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Use during pregnancy only if the potential benefit to the
mother outweighs the possible risk to the fetus. If treatment during pregnancy is required, consider tapering therapy during the
Enters breast milk/not recommended.
- 1. U.S. FDA Lexapro Prescribing Information
- 2. Pollack M, Kinrys G, Krystal A, McCall WV, Roth T, Schaefer K, Rubens R, Roach J, Huang H, Krishnan R. Eszopiclone coadministered with escitalopram in patients with insomnia and comorbid generalized anxiety disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2008 May;65(5):551-62. PubMed
- 3. Baune BT, Caliskan S, Todder D. Effects of adjunctive antidepressant therapy with quetiapine on clinical outcome, quality of sleep and daytime motor activity in patients with treatment-resistant depression. Hum Psychopharmacol. 2007 Jan;22(1):1-9. PubMed
- 4. Castberg I, Skogvoll E, Spigset O. Quetiapine and drug interactions: evidence from a routine therapeutic drug monitoring service. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007 Oct;68(10):1540-5. PubMed
- 5. Matthews JD, Siefert C, Dording C, et al. An open study of aripiprazole and escitalopram for psychotic major depressive disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2009 Feb;29(1):73-6. PubMed
- 6. Grover S, Avasth A, Kalita K, et al. IPS multicentric study: Antidepressant prescription patterns. Indian J Psychiatry. 2013 Jan;55(1):41-5. PubMed