Trazodone (Desyrel®) Interactions
Taking Trazodone with:
Can you take Trazodone and Amitriptyline?
Trazodone label does not warn about concomitant use of trazodone with amitriptyline1. However, both drugs are sedative.
Can you take Trazodone and Mirtazapine (Remeron®)?
No warnings/contraindications regarding concomitant use of trazodone and mirtazapine 1. Dual antidepressant combination is a strategy well accepted in clinical practice8. Nevertheless keep in mind that both antidepressants are sedating and produce drowsiness and sleepiness.
Can you take Trazodone and Venlafaxine (Effexor®)?
Serotonin syndrome may oocur in patients taking trazodone with venlafaxine1, 4. Trazodone and venlafaxine are often used in combination 5, but some caution is necessary.
Also, keep in mind, that both venlafaxine and trazodone at normal doses can produce severe liver toxicity6.
Can you take Trazodone and Bupropion (Wellbutrin®)?
There are no significant drug interactions between trazodone and bupropion 1. In practice trazodone is widely prescribed with bupropion7.
Can you take Trazodone and Pregabalin (Lyrica®)?
There are no drug interactions between trazodone and pregabalin1. Trazodone plus pregabalin combination is effective in the treatment of fibromyalgian2.
Can you take Trazodone and Ibuprofen (Advil®)?
There are no reported adverse effects associated with concomitant use of trazodone and ibuprofen.
There is possible increased risk of bleeding events when serotinergic drugs are used along with NDAIDs1.
Can you take Trazodone and Zolpidem (Ambien®)?
There are no significant drug interactions between trazodone and zolpidem 1.
Can you take Trazodone and Buspirone (Buspar ®)?
The concurrent use of buspirone and trazodone may result in serotonin syndrome, and may possibly elevate liver enzymes3. In all other respects combined use of trazodone and buspirone is allowable.
Can you take Trazodone and Adderall® (dextroamphetamine/amphetamine)?
There are no drug interactions between trazodone and amphetamines, the active ingredients of Adderall®1.
Can you take Trazodone and Tramadol?
There are no reported adverse effects associated with the combined use of trazodone with tramadol1. Remember, that both trazodone and tramadol produce serotonin-enhancing effects.
Can you take Trazodone and Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril®)?
Trazodone label does not warn about use of trazodone with cyclobenzaprine1. So, concomitant use of trazodone and cyclobenzaprine is probably safe. Remember, both drugs may cause drowsiness.
Can you take Trazodone and Benadryl®?
There are no drug interactions between trazodone and Benadryl®1.
- 1. U.S. FDA Trazodone Prescribing Information
- 2. Calandre EP, Morillas-Arques P, Molina-Barea R, Rodriguez-Lopez CM, Rico-Villademoros F. Trazodone plus pregabalin combination in the treatment of fibromyalgia: a two-phase, 24-week, open-label uncontrolled study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2011 May 16;12:95 PubMed
- 3. U.S. FDA Buspirone Prescribing Information
- 4. McCue RE, Joseph M. Venlafaxine- and trazodone-induced serotonin syndrome. Am J Psychiatry. 2001 Dec;158(12):2088-9. PubMed
- 5. Bertschy G, Ragama-Pardos E, Muscionico M, Aït-Ameur A, Roth L, Osiek C, Ferrero F. Trazodone addition for insomnia in venlafaxine-treated, depressed inpatients: a semi-naturalistic study. Pharmacol Res. 2005 Jan;51(1):79-84. PubMed
- 6. Detry O, Delwaide J, De Roover A, Hans MF, Delbouille MH, Monard J, Honoré P. Fulminant hepatic failure induced by venlafaxine and trazodone therapy: a case report. Transplant Proc. 2009 Oct;41(8):3435-6. PubMed
- 7. Clark NA, Alexander B. Increased rate of trazodone prescribing with bupropion and selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitors versus tricyclic antidepressants. Ann Pharmacother. 2000 Sep;34(9):1007-12. PubMed
- 8. Lopes R, Alves JC, Rego RG. Trazodone Addition to Paroxetine and Mirtazapine in a Patient with Treatment-Resistant Depression. Case Rep Med. 2016;2016:5362485. PubMed