Gabapentin (Neurontin®) Interactions
Gabapentin Drug Interactions
Gabapentin is not appreciably metabolized and does not interfere with other medications.
Test Interactions: False positives have been reported with the Ames N-Multistix SG dipstick test for urine protein.
Alcohol: There are no known interactions between gabapentin and alcohol. Gabapentin does not alter the effects of alcohol14.
Can you take Gabapentin and Alprazolam (Xanax®)?
There are no drug interactions between gabapentin and alprazolam as well as other benzodiazepines 1.
Can you take Gabapentin and Amitriptyline (Elavil ®)?
There are no drug interactions between gabapentin and amitriptyline 1. Amitriptyline with gabapentin combination is used for various types of chronic pain and is more effective than amitriptyline alone 6.
Can you take Gabapentin and Baclofen (Lioresal®)?
Gabapentin label does not provide any warnings regarding concurrent use with baclofen1. Experimental data suggests that gabapentin may potentiate baclofen-induced motor impairment10.
Can you take Gabapentin and Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril®)?
Gabapentin and cyclobenzaprine can be used in conjunction. The concomitant use of these drugs is not expected to be harmful. Some people may experience increased dizziness or drowsiness.
Can you take Gabapentin and Hydrocodone, Morphine or other opioids?
There are no major drug interactions between gabapentin and opioids (e.g. hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine) 1. There is evidence that gabapentin can enhance the analgesic effects of morphine and other opioids 7. Morphine can increase the plasma levels of gabapentin1.
Can you take Gabapentin with Ibuprofen (Advil®) or other NSAIDs?
Gabapentin can be taken along with ibuprofen or other NSAIDs. There are no drug interactions between gabapentin and NSAIDs (e.g. naproxen, ketoprofen, diclofenac, meloxicam) 1. Research data suggests that gabapentin plus naproxen can interact synergistically in the treatment of persistent inflammatory pain 9. Gabapentin plus diclofenac combination is also a promising treatment approach 2.
Can you take Gabapentin and Pregabalyn (Lyrica®)?
The manufacturer of Lyrica ® notes that there is no pharmacokinetic interaction between pregabalin and gabapentin3.
Can you take Gabapentin and Suboxone® (Buprenorphine/Naloxone)?
Gabapentin may potentiate the effect of buprenorphine/naloxone 11.
Can you take Gabapentin and Tizanidine (Zanaflex®)?
There are no reported drug interactions between gabapentin and tizanidine 1. Generally gabapentin and tizanidine combination is safe 12.
Can you take Gabapentin and Topiramate (Topamax®)?
Gabapentin and topiramate don't interact harmfully with each other. Moreover gabapentin synergistically interacts with topiramate and the combination of both drugs may be useful for refractory partial epilepsy 13.
Can you take Gabapentin and Tramadol?
There are no drug interactions between gabapentin and tramadol 1. Animal research indicates tramadol-gabapentin combination can interact synergistically and may be effective for the treatment of inflammatory pain 4, 5. Aslo the combination of tramadol plus gabapentin seems to be effective for opioid detoxification15.
Can you take Gabapentin and Zolpidem (Ambien®)?
Combination of gabapentin and zolpidem is considered safe 1. The pharmacokinetics of gabapentin and zolpidem are unaffected when both medications are taken simultaneously 7.
Gabapentin during Pregnancy
Pregnancy Category C.
Animal studies have documented teratogenic effects. There are no adequate
and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. Use during pregnancy only
if the potential benefit to the mother outweighs the potential risk to the fetus.
Gabapentin is excreted in human breast milk. A nursed infant could be
exposed to ~1 mg/kg/day of gabapentin. Use in breast-feeding women only if the benefits to the mother
outweigh the potential risk to the infant.
- 1. U.S. FDA Gabapentin Prescribing Information
- 2. Narai Y, Imamachi N, Saito Y. Gabapentin augments the antihyperalgesic effects of diclofenac sodium through spinal action in a rat postoperative pain model. Anesth Analg. 2012 Jul;115(1):189-93 PubMed
- 3. Lyrica (Pregabalin). Pfizer Ltd. UK Summary of product characteristics.
- 4. McKeon GP, Pacharinsak C, Long CT, Howard AM, Jampachaisri K, Yeomans DC, Felt SA. Analgesic effects of tramadol, tramadol-gabapentin, and buprenorphine in an incisional model of pain in rats. J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2011 Mar;50(2):192-7. PubMed
- 5. Granados-Soto V, Argüelles CF. Synergic antinociceptive interaction between tramadol and gabapentin after local, spinal and systemic administration. Pharmacology. 2005 Jul;74(4):200-8. PubMed
- 6. Sator-Katzenschlager SM, Scharbert G, Kress HG, Frickey N, Ellend A, Gleiss A, Kozek-Langenecker SA. Chronic pelvic pain treated with gabapentin and amitriptyline: a randomized controlled pilot study. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2005 Nov;117(21-22):761-8. PubMed
- 7. Galitz LA, Jayawardena S, Furey SA. Pharmacokinetic effects of simultaneous administration of single-dose gabapentin 500 mg and zolpidem tartrate 10 mg in healthy volunteers: a randomized, open-label, crossover trial. Drugs R D. 2015 Mar;15(1):71-7. PubMed
- 8. Eckhardt K, Ammon S, Hofmann U, Riebe A, Gugeler N, Mikus G. Gabapentin enhances the analgesic effect of morphine in healthy volunteers. Anesth Analg. 2000 Jul;91(1):185-91. PubMed
- 9. Hurley RW, Chatterjea D, Rose Feng M, Taylor CP, Hammond DL. Gabapentin and pregabalin can interact synergistically with naproxen to produce antihyperalgesia. Anesthesiology. 2002 Nov;97(5):1263-73. PubMed
- 10. Czuczwar M, Kiś J, Łuszczki J, Turski WA, Przesmycki K. Evaluation of interaction between gabapentin and baclofen in the formalin test in mice. Pol J Pharmacol. 2003 Sep-Oct;55(5):803-6. PubMed
- 11. Reeves RR, Ladner ME. Potentiation of the effect of buprenorphine/naloxone with gabapentin or quetiapine. Am J Psychiatry. 2014 Jun;171(6):691.
- 12. Kabayel DD, Ozdemir F, Unlu E, Bilgili N, Murat S. The effects of medical treatment and rehabilitation in a patient with adult tethered cord syndrome in the late postoperative period. Med Sci Monit. 2007 Dec;13(12):CS141-4. PubMed
- 13. Luszczki JJ, Czuczwar SJ. Gabapentin synergistically interacts with topiramate in the mouse maximal electroshock seizure model: an isobolographic analysis. Pharmacol Rep. 2006 Nov-Dec;58(6):944-54. PubMed
- 14. Bisaga A, Evans SM. The acute effects of gabapentin in combination with alcohol in heavy drinkers. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2006 Jun 9;83(1):25-32. PubMed
- 15. Ziaaddini H, Ziaaddini A, Asghari N, Nakhaee N, Eslami M. Trial of tramadol plus gabapentin for opioid detoxification. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2014 Dec 29;17(1):e18202. PubMed
Last modified: November, 2015